Thursday, October 1, 2009

Merch: Where The Wild Things Are

I saw a TV spot for Spike Jonze's Where The Wild Things Are last night, and I can officially declare that I'm overjoyed that I will finally be able to watch this film on October 16. It's finally October, meaning WTWTA is just a couple of weeks away.

I was surfing Jonze's blog for the film, appropriately titled "We Love You So," and I thought I'd share some stuff I found there. Check out the blog for yourself, it's really a cool piece of Web culture, and its scope definitely extends beyond that of the upcoming movie.

Firstly, this is probably the coolest piece of movie "merchandise" I've ever seen. Sold by Opening Ceremony, a company I perceive to be a bit on the high fashion side of things, the suit is exactly what it looks like: a full adult unisex wolf suit, just like the one worn by Max in the book and movie, made of faux fur. I can't tell you how cool I think it would be to wear this thing to the premiere of the film. One problem: it'll set you back $610.

Opening Ceremony's site has some jewelry as well as other fashion pieces based off different characters from the film, one of which (the parka pictured above) costs a hefty $895. Expensive, but very cool nonetheless.

We don't have an Urban Outfitters up here near Bellingham, but if you're in the market for some WTWTA stuff and don't have the budget of Donald Trump, you may want to check it out. Most of their clothing for the film, like the baseball tee shown above, is in the women's category, but they have their share of graphic tees, apartment decorations and general merchandise too. The baseball tee costs $28, and most of the other items are comparably-priced, relative to their category.

I plan on picking up the soundtrack CD sometime in the near future. People are raving about the film's music, which is probably a relief for Jonze because he took a chance and unconventionally chose Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to head up the music for WTWTA. I can't wait to listen to it.

By the way, if you don't feel like spending a small fortune at Opening Ceremony or trekking to Urban Outfitters, go ahead and do what I did: shop at Hot Topic. If you can wade past the sullen face of Robert Pattinson, check out their graphic tees. You can't really go wrong. Mine is pictured below.

No comments:

Post a Comment