Sunday, October 18, 2009

Very Short Film Review: Where The Wild Things Are


I started writing this review a few times and never could quite hit the notes I wanted to so for now, conciseness is a virtue.

Spike Jonze's Where The Wild Things Are is very different from anything I've ever seen before. On the one hand, it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever witnessed. Filming in Melbourne, Australia, was an inspired choice by Jonze, as was his decision to use puppet-style suits to portray the Wild Things. I cannot imagine a more fitting portrayal of the Wild Things or their world.

On the other hand, Jonze's adaptation is very complex for a kids' movie, perhaps too much so for some children to understand. The crux of this film is the conflict and angst within Max's mind, as represented by the Wild Things and their seemingly petty conflicts. I feel like that might be tough to grasp for some kids.

This all would've been a non-issue if so much of the film weren't spent creating and trying to resolve these conflicts. The wild rumpus and the dirt clod fight had the kids in my theater laughing, but they were probably scratching their heads through much of the narrative.

I don't have too much else to say about Where The Wild Things Are right now because I'm still trying to grasp what I saw. It's what I call a "singular" film, one that can't be replicated. It's a hugely original retelling of a Maurice Sendak book that's been around since 1963, if that makes sense.

I would fully recommend going and watching this movie. Everybody seems to watch it and comes away with something different, which is one mark of a special film.

Go see it, and tell me what you think.

My Score: 3 stars out of 5

1 comment:

  1. The cinematography of this movie was impressive, no doubt, but it seemed to be missing something; maybe it was just too low energy from beginning to end (or at least after the first ten minutes)

    ReplyDelete