Thursday, October 7, 2010

I gotta get something off my chest...

Hello, my name is Brent, and I'm a tee shirt addict.

Whew, that's better. Back in April and May, when "LOST", my favorite television show of all time, was coming to a close, the guys at /Film reported on several "LOST"-themed tee shirts being featured on a few different Web sites around the Net. These included Threadless, TeeFury and RIPT Apparel. I own a "LOST" shirt from each of these outlets now, and have become positively addicted to the stuff they post day in and day out. Below, I've provided a bit of info about the sites, as well as my favorite designs from each one.


The design pictured above is Travis Pitts' Pac-Man-inspired "The Madness of Mission 6", my favorite tee over at Threadless. This particular site sells tees and hoodies featuring designs created by artists in the Web community. Users can vote on the designs they like the best, and Threadless will print and sell the most popular ones. The artists receive $2,000 and a $500 gift card if their design wins. Tees normally run from $18 to $20, and hoodies usually cost around $40. Sales do pop up fairly often (the 10th anniversary sale begins on this coming Sunday).

Shopping at Threadless is a great way to support artists and their trade, and who can deny the awesomeness of these designs? Other favorites of mine include Aled Lewis' "The Horde" and Alex Solis' "Parting the Red Sea", which definitely works best as a zip-up hoodie.


Let's face it, we can't all afford to pay $20 bucks for our tee shirts. TeeFury understands that. I paid $9 plus $2 shipping for the above tee shirt, "Major League Zombie" by Spitfire19. Dirt cheap! The catch is, each tee is available for only 24 hours at a time; after that, it's gone. TeeFury also supports artists; they pay each artist $1 for every individual tee sold. They also get to keep the rights to their design after TeeFury features it. Again, support the artists! They do stuff I could never imagine doing. My other favorites include "Boo" by balilewis and "Ab Aeterno" by m. Brady Clark.


I haven't bought much from RIPT Apparel, but this was actually the site from which I bought the first of my "LOST" shirts. RIPT also pays the featured artist $1 for each tee sold. They have some pretty amazing designs, my personal favorite being the Amazon Kindle-inspired one above, titled "Primitive Amazon Discovery" by Jewelwing. I love my Kindle! My other RIPT favorites are "Samus" by Jonah Block and "Master Big Chief" by Dann Matthews.

No comments:

Post a Comment